Saturday, November 25, 2006

"Tis the Season

I always put up my Christmas tree on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I did manage to get that done today, and as promised, here are the pictures:





















In the photos, it almost looks like one of those white trees that are supposed to look like they're covered with snow (I guess). It is actually made from silver foil and it is very shiny. Apparently these were popular for a while in the early 60's or thereabouts. Do any of you remember having one?

I guess it's about time to start thinking about Christmas shopping. I heard on the radio the other day, that December 23rd closely rivals Black Friday as one of the busiest shopping days of the year. As a usual last minute shopper, I thank the Good Lord for internet shopping with next day delivery! I haven't set foot in a mall in years.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

-

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's with putting up a Christmas tree, being named Chritina and then saying Happy Holidays??

Happy Christmas.

Duke_of_Earle said...

Yes. MERRY Christmas, even! And as you know, I remember those aluminum trees very well. Along with the rotating colored lights that made them seem to change color.

Dad

Christina said...

I celebrate Christmas, and very openly. However, I wish a happy holiday season to everyone, whether they celebrate Christmas or not. I also include Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, plus any other holidays that may fall within this festive time of year!

Anonymous said...

I remember well the aluminum Christmas trees and the spinning color wheel.

Now we have one of those fiber optic trees. It is mesmerizing to watch as it keeps changing colors.

I usually don't put the tree up until the 2nd weekend of December and it stays up until after New Years.

Christina said...

Oh, I have one of the color wheels too. I haven't put it up yet as last year it seemed to be overheating and I'm afraid it may need a little work. I love the fiber optic trees too!

Anonymous said...

As a boy, my parents had one of those. It sat on a stand that rotated and as your dad mentioned, there were colored lights. Those were the days. Guess what goes around comes around. Nice tree.

Anonymous said...

I am not ready for Christmas yet, it still keeps rushing towards me at a super speed in spite of my wishing it wouldn't. Love your tree, I do seem to remember having one at some stage.
Cheers Margaret

Emmy Ellis said...

We weren't posh enough as kids to have a white tree. Only rich people had those.

:o)

Zinnia said...

I don't even want to think about Christmas, but I do like NY Eve. It's a symbol of a new beginning.

Btw, I'll be blogging again soon!

Christina said...

M.E - we didn't have any fancy trees when I was growing up either. We did have a tree, but it was the same old artificial one year after year after year. This nice silver one was a gift from my parents about 6 years ago and I use it every year. Before this one I had a 2 foot high table-top tree. I couldn't afford a bigger one at the time, then I just kept on using that one because I'm cheap!

Karyn Lyndon said...

Your place looks very festive.

My grandparents had an aluminum tree with a color wheel...as we said in the late sixties...it was a real trip, man!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the award. I read about it on your Dad's site.