Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Chivalry Is Not Dead

As I was sitting and watching TV tonight, I realized I needed a couple items from the store. It was as good a time as any so I ran down to the corner and picked up my items.

On my way home I saw a little old man crossing the street in the middle of the block. (Read "80-some-odd year old shuffling accross the street in the middle of the block with oncoming traffic...")

I thought, "that old man shouldn't be jaywalking!"

I noticed he was coming from an assisted living facility.

Then I saw where he was going. He was headed across the street to a 55+ community.

Finally, I noticed he was carrying a bouquet of flowers. I thought, "Oh how sweet!!!"

But he still shouldn't be jaywalking. He could get hit!

5 comments:

Hale McKay said...

I agree with the sweetness for sure, but I am troubled at the same time. I see this too often on my job. I also hear of similar things that end in tragedy.

I hope he remains fortunate in his future crossings.

Peter said...

Sounds like he has already been hit Christina, now he is fo;;owing up.

Jack K. said...

Sweet? Yes.

Prudent? No.

Dangerous? Absolutley.

Having recently been enlightened about living in assisted living and nursing facilities, I can heartily agree with Hale. Perhaps the staff at his facility need to be made aware of his travels.

I can only hope the trip was worth it. chortle.

Nik said...

Awww, I hope shuffling old man got to his destination safely and that whoever the flowers were for appreciated it. How cute!!

Duke_of_Earle said...

Hey! I like the new picture you put up there in place of the peace sign.

Dad