Saturday, July 08, 2006

Irony?

As I'm sure many of you can understand, finances are a little tight right now. So, I try to do whatever I can to cut corners and save a little here and a little there. One thing I have been saving money on is haircuts. I have decided to let my own hair grow out (an excuse not to get frequent haircuts) and I cut my husband's hair myself at home. He, being a musician, wears his hair about shoulder length with layers, so it has to be cut with scissors, not clippers. A couple months ago I am cutting his hair in the kitchen, when I managed to cut myself. I was holding the hair with my left hand and cutting with the right, and I managed to clip one of my knuckles. I actually cut a large flap of skin directly over the knuckle of my F-you finger on my left hand. Not pretty. I went to work the next day and one of the doctors I work with put some stitches in it for me and told me to immobilize my hand so I wouldn't pull it open again. Well, I didn't take the situation seriously enough, and consequently re-opened the cut so many times that it didn't heal properly. Now it is healed over, but I have a large, unsightly lump of scar tissue over that knuckle, which will have to be surgically removed. I have already spent well over $500 on doctor visits and my insurance deductible, and there will be more bills to come after the surgery is done. I could have paid for at least 35 haircuts by now and not have an ugly painful lump on the back of my hand. Not to mention time off work to have surgery and all the aggravation. From here on out, Supercuts here we come!

9 comments:

Nankin said...

Hi Christina, your Dad said to drop by, so here I am. I've done the home haircutting thing too; and have done the same exact thing. Not fun.

Emmy Ellis said...

I shouldn't laugh really...

I've done that myself. I cut everyone's hair at home too, but only cut my knuckle once when I first started. 14 years on and I haven't repeated that performance yet.

With 'C' around, I bet I'll cut myself next time...

:o)

Christina said...

Michelle:

Hahahahahaha!

I actually considered the "C" but wasn't sure if it extended to scissors.

Christina said...

If someone can sue McDonald's for the coffee being hot, can I sue Fiskar's (scissor co.) for the scissors being sharp? Things that make you go "hmmmm..."

Duke_of_Earle said...

Sounds like the "cutters" were sharper than the "cuttor." (Is that a word? I don't think so.)

Just kidding. I know how sometimes a small distraction is all it takes to cause a slip. And with sharp objects in use, things can get serious in a hurry. I hope you eventually get the hand fixed so it's fully functional, and doesn't look TOO much like a claw.

Dad

Duke_of_Earle said...

P.S. Good looking blogroll of "daily reads."

Faith Bicknell said...

I've been cutting the hair of my friends, hubby, kids, etc for ages. I hate doing it, but everyone says I'm so good at it they hate to pay for a salon cut. Never had a day of training. Just watched stylists as I was growing up. My mom went once a week to have her hair done.

Emmy Ellis said...

Same here, Faith.

Sort of just 'did it' one day. I even cut my own, from long to short a couple of times. Now that's really whacky!

:o)

Christina said...

MIchelle, yeah, me too. have actually cut hubby's hair a number of times without mishap. really.